Hello and welcome to my site!
My name is David. I am a mathematician and teacher living in Jersey.
I was born in Northern Ireland, my interest was always drawn to Mathematics in school, which is where I met my wife Erin Brown. After school, I attended Queen's University Belfast to study Mathematics.
I then moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne to complete a PhD in Mathematics at Newcastle University. I married my wife about a year after we moved to Newcastle.
I knew that I wanted to pursue a career in teaching, so I commenced a PGCE at Newcastle University, after which I moved to Jersey, where I teach Secondary Mathematics.
My wife is an illustrator and you can visit her site at http://erin.erinanddavid.uk.
Apart from Mathematics, I enjoy listening to music, watching films, and playing games. I also enjoy hiking and practising calligraphy. I try to read whenever I have the chance; I like Egyptology, poetry, and fantasy fiction. At the moment, I am rereading "The Lord of the Rings" by J. R. R. Tolkien.
I have used computers since childhood, although only from a personal interest. I used the LaTeX package extensively during my Master's and PhD to typeset mathematics, which sparked an interest in more technical packages. I have since been learning HTML, CSS, and more recently, C.
- PGCE in Secondary Mathematics from Newcastle University.
- PhD in Mathematics from Newcastle University.
- MSci in Mathematics from Queen’s University Belfast.
- A-levels in Further Mathematics, Mathematics, and Physics.
- AS-levels in Further Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, and Business Studies.
- GCSEs in Additional Mathematics, Art and Design, Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English, English Literature, Technology and Design, and French.
- Chartered College of Teaching.
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications.
- London Mathematical Society.
- Mathematical Association.
- Mathematics in Education and Industry.
- Royal Statistical Society.